Monday, November 21, 2011

What should I tell my children when they ask about my scars?

Throughout my teen years and my early 20's I was a self-harmer. Thankfully, I'm fully recovered and I couldn't be happier with my life. However, my husband and I just had our first child 2 months ago, and when she grows up and asks about my scars, what should I tell her? I'm certain we will be having more than one child, also. I have 6 very thick and purple scars on the upper part of my left arm, they are very noticeable and I still get many stares whilst in public. So if people can notice just at a glance, what should I tell my child/ren? I don't want to lie to them, but I don't them to be scared of me or think of me as a person who could do harm to myself or them? Any ideas?What should I tell my children when they ask about my scars?
Honesty Honesty Honesty... children depend on it and when their own parent(s) lie to them and it is found out later on when they are older and more mature, it hurts and leaves an emotional scar greater than those you have mentioned in this question. When a child learns for sure that their parent(s) have lied to them, it shakes the entire foundation that they have spent their entire life building... it makes them start to wonder what else their parent(s) have lied about and can have devastating consequences.


The truth. Don't be afraid of it. But don't leave it at the raw truth, teach them the moral of the story, the hidden lesson in your scars that they can benefit from. Tell them about perhaps the difficult times you experienced and perhaps the depression. I don't know your story, but your scars have great potential to be great reminders to your children of how strong their mother is and the fact that she is a survivor. Also utilize these times of explanation to reinforce the fact that you are always there for your children and that they can come to you and talk about anything and everything. Most of all, don't be ashamed of them... they are scars... they mark a battle fought and won and should be held now with pride. Judgments are always made but your confidence will prove your judges wrong.What should I tell my children when they ask about my scars?
Be honest with them about it- but make sure it is age appropriate. Tell them that when you were little you felt sad and you thought the only way to make yourself feel batter was to hurt yourself. But you learned there was another way to feel better and now you have those scars as a reminder that nothing is as bad as it seems in the moment. As she/they get older you can share more about your situation and get more detailed. Just keep the lines of communication open. Good luck!
You can wait till they're old enough to understand. Don't offer the explanation unless they ask. You may be able to see a dermatologist to help out with this. They may be able to offer laser treatment. Or you can tell them that you were sickipoo when you did it and you're better now. And there is a special heavy base makeup for these type of scars for public situations. Otherwise call Dr. Laura on KFI 640 AM between 12-3pm?
when the time comes you will have to judge the situation. but if the child is old enough to understand or atleast not be frightened just tell them. if they are young you could do many things say when you are older, tell them the truth or lie if you need to. or tell them as little as possible while still telling them. you could just say '; mommy got hurt along time ago'; and if you don't want them talking about it just say lets keep it our secret little kids will usually buy that i hope this helps!
Everyone makes mistakes. I think that if your kids ask you, you should calmly explain that when you were younger you went though a really hard time in life. And that when they are older you will explain it to them in more detail. Chances are that your kids won't even think anything of it. You'll always be that way. And they won't know any different. And a simple answer of I hurt myself when i was younger will end their questions about it. good luck. and congrats.
You certainly can't lie to them because they will eventually find out the truth sooner or later. If you tell them the truth is better than someone else telling them because they will get mad at you by then. I know it might be really hard but the only option is to tell them the truth, they'll understand. Even though adults sometimes think kids won't understand, how wrong they are because some kids do understand and they won't judge you. Tell them the truth!
I know you don't want to lie to them, but telling them the story might make them think it's okay to do it to themselves. Put a little makeup on them, tell them you got in a car accident, and explain when they're older incase they go into the same stage as you did.
tell them that you just cut your self with scissors on accident or somthing like that, or tell them you accedently were playing with knives and it happened. then when they are older and under stand tell them the truth and tell them that they need to not do the same thing.
its tricky........when theyre younger just tell them mummy hurt herself but u cud explain to them better when they get older just tell them u were very distressed and it seemed to help with the pain but point out to them that it prob wasnt the best choice.just think if they go down the same road how helpful ur experience will be . good luck
Tell them the truth. I am still young and I know that I would much heather hav my mom tell the truth then a lie. But u may want to wait on the dtails until they r older and can understand. For now just say u were hurt bad when u were young and that when they r older u will tell them more.
well, if you dont intend on scaring them, then you should lie. if you tell them the truth, they might grow up thinking if mommy did it, i can too. tell them you fell off your bike and scraped your arm or a car crash? surgery?
tell something like an accident happened to make the scars appear;when the children are old enough then tell them the truth but ofcourse discuss with your hubby before u lie to your children and make sure nobody else will tell the truth to them before u do
Just tell them that you were hurt when you were younger. Don't get into specifics, wait until they are older to do that.
Tell her the truth when she's old enough! She can learn from your mistakes and not do what you did!
i'd Say u tell him or her the truth and explain y and then just tell them not to follow in ur foot steps (im sorry if it did make sense
Well, depending on their age, I wouldn't tell them the truth.
Tell her the truth...but only when she is old enough to understand. You don't want to scare her.
well i have friends that did the same thing years ago and though they won't ever go away the scars to fade to a white colour with time.


I think telling them the truth and making them understand is important when they're older but until then just tell them 'mummy was stupid' so they will grow up knowing its a thing they shouldn't do but so you don't have to get all complicated with it.


The will love you no matter what so don't be afraid to share everything with them. Besides like any good mother you will know what to do when the time comes.
  • bloom-
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment