Monday, July 26, 2010

How would you react if you saw lots of scars on your son/daughters arms?

like scars from a year agoHow would you react if you saw lots of scars on your son/daughters arms?
Making a big deal about it is wrong, they'd only back up into a corner and they wouldn't talk to you, if the scars are old then try not to worry, it was most likely a phase they've grown out of just let them know if they need to talk you are there.How would you react if you saw lots of scars on your son/daughters arms?
well depending on the severeness of the scars, I would probably assume they were from cuts and scrapes from them falling. If they look like severe scars that you know isn't possible to get from falling, then I would question them. Or wait til' a new cut appears and ask my child where they came from. I'm sure they're just from falling though, kids do it all the time! My 1 year old has already gotten 2 scars on her from falling on the concrete once at her birthday party, and the other one was a few months ago. Just keep an eye out, if anything looks suspicous, ask your kids.
You need more details. How old is the child? If it's a teenager (and I'm the mom in this scenario) I would assume it was self-inflicted. If it was a young child, I would think it was from a normal fall that all kids have....but, I'm sure I would remember such a fall, that would leave a scar a year later. If my young child was in day care, or under someone else's supervision, and I couldn't recall an instance where they would have had a big fall a year ago, I would be very suspicious.





EDIT: For a 17 yr old, again, I would assume it was self-inflicted. As a parent, I would confront the teen, leaving no room for lies, by saying, ';I saw what you did to your arm and we need to talk about it. If now is not a good time, or you need some time to think, we'll talk later tonight.';
If they are straight cuts that happen in rows, or some kind of pattern, then it would be safe to assume that something is wrong with the child, i.e cutting. If they are hiding them, that is even more reason to conclude that their is an issue.





I would speak to them and see if they have thoughts about hurting themselves. Check their legs as well, the thigh is usually the place they go if they are afraid of getting caught.
It depends on if they are old or brand new. A lot of kids cut themselves now as a depression type punishment situation in which they do not understand or can handle mentally or physically issues.





If their old scars, then he problem jumped that hurdle alone already.





If their new scars, Counseling is in order.
Are they deliberate? As in self-mutilation? If yes, I'd get them help and confront them about it.





Otherwise, I'd ask them if someone was hurting them, why they were hiding it, etc. and see from there.





If they're just normal scars from careless kids stuff (sports, rough play, et cetera), then it's no issue. It happens; if someone comes out of childhood without those scars, it's a sure sign to me that they probably had a very boring childhood =P
There is definitely a problem here. Either she is doing it to be cool, which is a major problem within its self, or she is having emotional issues and is using pain to deal with them. You need to talk to your daughter and find out what's going on. Hopefully she isn't self-destructive anymore.


I hope this helps.


Good Luck.
depends how old the child was





if they are under 7 maybe they were getting bullied, maybe they like to climb trees alot.





if they are say 10+ maybe its self harm because of bullying or other problems, but you really need to talk to your child
Well what kind of scars are they if it happen a year ago? I would have investigated when I saw them a year ago.
so you havn't seen your son's arms for a year?


and i would ask him why he does that.
It depends on what the scars are from.
i will be worried if the child hid them .
I'd say, ';Neato, those are some bitchin' battle scars, champ!';


And then we'd go play a game of father/son catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment