Saturday, July 24, 2010

Teachers: How would your react if you saw self inflicted cuts/scars on a pupil's arm?

Well this is one of those things where teachers don't have a choice. You have to report this.





But even if I did have a choice I would either report it to the school counselor or I would at minimum sit down and talk to the student myself.





I dated a girl who cut her self, and she only got worst and worst. I she was really smart and talented, she could have been a doctor, lawyer, actress, anything she wanted but she wasted her life. I would hate to watch a student make the same mistake.Teachers: How would your react if you saw self inflicted cuts/scars on a pupil's arm?
You have asked a very personal question as far as I am concerned. Two years ago, a student ran to me with the information that I needed to see my niece in the dance room. Apparently, the student had seen the cuts on my nieces' arm and alerted me to this. I ran to the dance room and called her out of the changing room. I sat her down and looked her in the face and told her exactly what I had heard. She showed me her arms. She had been cutting! I was shocked! I hugged her and told her that I needed to let her parents know that she needed our help. She nodded her head in agreement. I called her Dad (who is a minister). He came to the school and picked her up and carried her to a doctor that he knew. She was in counseling for a year and was prescribed medication for depression. She had two aunts to commit suicide and this was the disturbing factor in her life. Death. How to deal with it. I am glad I was told and that I told. Her parents were able to help her overcome this issue and she is better.





Last year, one of my students hid her arms for two days, but I knew something was wrong. She finally allowed me to see them and she had cut herself from wrist to shoulder! Deep, welting cuts that no one could mistake. She had been molested over and over again. Cutting was her way of dealing with her problem. I immediately contacted the school counselor who took over the situation. The young lady received counseling and is still in sessions.





Cutting and hurting oneself is a serious issue in schools today. As teachers, we have to be observant and respond immediately to what we see and what other students report. Some teachers don't want to be involved - however, I am not one of those! I want my students to receive help. Young people today seem to go through much more than other generations ever did. I don't know all the issues, but I know there is help for all of them if they allow us. If I know a student is depressed, crying, or demonstrates mood swings - I will immediately make myself available to assist - whether they want my help or not! It 's my job - and now - it's the law.Teachers: How would your react if you saw self inflicted cuts/scars on a pupil's arm?
I would report the situation to my school social worker or therapist immediately. The school social worker or therapist will talk to other teachers, possibly contact his/her parents, and figure out what's the best solution for that pupil. Early Intervention is so vital in those situations, he/she needs to see a professional therapist/social worker to get him/her through this dark time. As a teacher this won't be your first time coming in contact with something of this nature, teachers are on the front lines, and should report suspicious behavior, marks accordingly. Well done teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment